Why this rant? I found this video showcasing technology, music and fashion, culminating into this loud artistic expression. Coco Rocha performs interpretative dance in these formless gowns with apocalyptic beats in the background and holographic images that blur the lines between reality and fiction. But during the whole show, it is hard to miss the bright screens of people's phones, trying to "capture" the moment. Whatever, the ups and downs right?
@katedoan
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
fashion, technology and music
New York Fashion Week starts tomorrow. I am really excited to watch the art, fashion and music emerge across the internet. Though to be honest, I get uncomfortable with the concept of social media, primarily over the gluttonous, self-propagating bullshit that floods our news feeds. The selfies, the fake interactions ("networking"), and the plethora of hashtags. I enjoy the witty hashtags with the playful puns that sound gut-cringingly cheesy said aloud. When I see hashtags, I see shameless self-promotion and lack of originality. I see people selling themselves for the sake of a "like" on a loveless platform where people (and maybe I mean women) are waiting for make snide internal judgmental comments. But that is the cynic in me. I also love social media because it lends every individual a voice. It lets everyone be an artist. It lets people see a side of you that you normally hide in public because the public is scary with strangers who have the potential to be judgmental pricks. Through social media, you have the safety net of the internet, where the people who follow you are usually your friends or like-minded people who enjoy your commentary on life. There are your ups and downs to technology, but I think it ultimately has done something amazing for the art world.
DESIGN DISRUPTED - Lexus, LEGS, Giles Deacon and Coco Rocha (Full Performance) from Coco Rocha on Vimeo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment